There are two different processes for insurance claims, depending on what service and insurance you purchased. If you’re not sure which one your package has, just ask! We’re happy to help 😉
Priority Mail insurance
Through Pirate Ship, all domestic Priority Mail services include $100 of free built-in insurance coverage from USPS. Similarly, international Priority Mail services include $200 of coverage.
To process a claim for a USPS-insured service, such as a Priority Mail or Priority Mail Express package that had a declared value of $100 or less, you’ll need to file the claim directly with USPS at https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm. We’re happy to help answer questions, but cannot directly assist with the process. If USPS approves the claim, they will mail you a check.
3rd Party Insurance (Shipsurance)
To file a claim for a 3rd party-insured service, contact Pirate Ship customer support to begin the process.
In order to file a claim, you will need to provide the following:
- The tracking number (including a screenshot of a tracking scan from USPS proving they accepted the package)
- An invoice or proof of value of the items
- If you've refunded the customer or sent a replacement, proof of that (but we do recommend waiting to refund them until your recipient has cooperated with anything the insurance company asks for, if possible)
- Screenshots of messages or emails you’ve had with the recipient
- For damaged claims, you'll need to submit: 1) a photo of the entire damaged item; 2) photos of the external packaging (aka the outside of the box/envelope); 3) photos of the inside of the box/envelope with any packaging materials you used
Please note that this evidence is necessary in order to begin the claim filing process 👍 Shipsurance may or may not request additional evidence based on the circumstances of your claim. Please review their Terms & Conditions here. Keep in mind not complying with Shipsurance’s additional requests may result in a denial of your claim!
For missing shipments, you'll need to wait 20 days from the shipment date for a domestic shipment, or 40 days from the shipment date for an international shipment before you can file an insurance claim. In some cases, Shipsurance is asking for even longer wait times for delivery due to COVID-19.
If the claim is approved by the 3rd-party insurer, the credit will be applied to your Pirate Ship Account Balance. We can also issue the credit via PayPal, or mail you a check 😃