Media Mail® is the cheapest way to ship books, vinyl records, or other music with the United States Postal Service®. However, USPS® does not allow the package to contain anything besides the qualifying media products they've defined, and they reserve the right to inspect packages to ensure they only contain qualifying Media Mail items.
Qualifying USPS Media Mail® items:
- Books that contain at least 8 pages.
- CDs, DVDs, records, tapes, or other sound and video recordings.
- Scripts for plays, books, periodicals, and music.
- Printed music.
- Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
- Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
- Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
- Printed educational reference charts.
- Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.
Media Mail® packages may not contain advertising
Media Mail® packages cannot contain advertising of any kind, and USPS® explicitly forbids comic books from being shipped with Media Mail®.
Can book subscription boxes use Media Mail®?
A common question is whether book subscription boxes can use Media Mail® to ship their packages. If the package only contains books, and does not include other items such as T-shirts or bookmarks, then Media Mail® is a great service to use.
How to access Media Mail® with Pirate Ship
To purchase Media Mail® postage with Pirate Ship, open the "Extra Services" area below the dimension and weight inputs when you're creating a label, and check the "Qualifies for Media Mail" checkbox:
This will enable Pirate Ship's rate shopping to show you Media Mail® rates.